Race #37: Turkey Trot 10 Miler
This race was a hot mess waiting to happen. The race start time was 9:30, so at 8:46 I decided to leave the house. That was a mistake. I should have left at 8:30. I forgot how many Wichitans run this race, so you can imagine my road rage when I was backed up in traffic at 9:12 and not even close to the parking lot. I think I even text’d my wife and said that I might not make it in time. I still had to park, run a quarter-mile to get my race packet, then run back to the car to drop it off, put on my bib, and run to the start line. I did all of that by 9:25. I was annoyed, didn’t even stretch my legs. But that half-mile warm up did the trick.
I needed to average 7’36” per mile for a PR and I had no idea if I’d even try. By mile 3, I was cruising at sub-7’30” so the rest is history. I posted my last 4 miles of splits because I like how I finished. My avg. pace kept dropping at each mile marker, so at mile 5 or 6 I knew I was good. My final time was 1:12 something and a PR by nearly 4 minutes. I didn’t even finish close to an age-group top 3.
It was so freaking cold, but I cannot stress how much I love running in this weather. This is the 9th straight day of running for me, the last day of my vacation, and I am totally exhausted. I need a vacation NOW.
Oh, and by the way, that Nike long-sleeved tech shirt is my favorite. The huge Honeysuckle turkey was a lovely surprise too.
- conventionalrunner likes this
- fromlazytolively likes this
- robbsrunning likes this
- runkorndoggrun likes this
- karikeepsrunning likes this
- fromthebackofthepack likes this
- 3quartersalice likes this
- sabbyrunsatl likes this
- joshbuildshealth likes this
- runningonredbull likes this
- carolynruns likes this
- happyhealthycook likes this
- usualchatter likes this
- runnergirlforlife likes this
- sarahsrunningbucketlist likes this
- beyondconsulting likes this
- winterfellwillrise likes this
- goingnowhereforfun likes this
- saturdaymorningdarkness posted this